Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes
Users of Windows have reported seeing the error message “Your device is missing crucial security and quality patches,” which prohibits them from getting Windows updates. If the scan finds no accessible updates, the error notice remains. If you’re seeing this error, don’t worry! We’ve prepared a few viable solutions for you to try.
Table of Contents
Here’s what we are going to cover today:
- Try these fixes…
- Fix 1: Repair corrupted system files
- Fix 2: Run Windows Updates troubleshooter
- Fix 3: Reinstall the most recent Windows security updates
- Fix 4: Reset Windows Updates services
- Fix 5: Enable the Telemetry settings
- Bonus tip: Update your device drivers
- This Fix Doesn’t Help You? Don’t Worry, Try This Steps!
- How do I get security updates on Windows 10 and Windows 11?
- How to get security updates on Windows 11?
You don’t have to try them all, just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the tricks!
1: Repair corrupted system files
2: Run Windows Updates troubleshooter
3: Reinstall the most recent Windows security updates
4: Reset Windows Updates services
5: Enable the Telemetry settings
Bonus tip: Update your device drivers
This error message might be the result of system file corruption. In most cases, the system file checker program (sfc /scannow) may be used to restore damaged system files. The bad news is that this tool depends on the Windows Updates client for maintenance. However, sfc /scannow is ineffective if your Windows Updates client is broken.
If you want a more sophisticated tool to repair your system, we recommend that you try Reimage. It is a professional system repair program that can diagnose Windows problems and restore damaged system files without affecting your data. It specializes in resolving Windows problems by using a large and up-to-date database.
- Download and run Reimage.
- Start the software. Reimage will begin a thorough scan of your system. The procedure may take some time.
- When the scan is finished, you may read the summary. If Reimage finds any missing or damaged system files or other problems that may have caused the error notice, click START REPAIR to resolve them.
The repair is available via the premium version of Reimage, which includes a 60-day money-back guarantee. If you have any difficulties when using Reimage, please contact their support staff.
If the error notification remains, try the following remedy.
Another simple option is to allow Windows to diagnose the issue for you. The instructions for running the Windows Updates troubleshooter are as follows:
- To enter the Settings window, press the Windows key and I on the keyboard.
- Select Update and Security.
- Select Troubleshooter in the left pane, and click Additional troubleshooters.
- Select Windows Update, then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the diagnosis to complete, and follow the instructions to fix the problems if applicable.
Check for Windows Updates again to see if the error message is gone now. If this doesn’t help, try the next fix.
Another possible cause of this issue is a previous Windows update that did not install properly. You may manually uninstall and reinstall the most recent Windows security update. If the problem was caused by a recently installed Windows update, this remedy is most likely to work. The steps are as follows:
- Enter update history in the search field next to your Start button, then click View your update history.
- You should find the history of security and quality updates here (if applicable). Mark down the most recently installed update, and click Uninstall updates above.
- Find the most recent update, right-click it then click Uninstall.
- After the most recent Windows update is removed, reboot your PC.
- Check for Windows updates again then reinstall the available updates.
If this doesn’t resolve the error, move on to the next fix.
The message “your device is missing critical security and quality patches” might signal that your Windows updates service components are corrupted. You may reset them manually using Command Prompt. The following are the explanations and step-by-step instructions:
1) First, we will disable the services needed by Windows Updates to obtain and install updates.
2) After that, we’ll remove the Software Distribution folder, which is where Windows Updates saves temporary data. It is safe to remove this folder since Windows will detect its absence and generate a new one. Any potential complications from the old folder may therefore be avoided.
3) Finally, we’ll reinstate the services that were previously halted.
- In the search bar next to the Start button, type in command prompt, then click Run as administrator. If prompted for permission, click Yes.
- Copy and paste the following commands into the Command Prompt window. Make sure you do it one at a time, and press Enter for every command to run.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- In the Command Prompt window, copy and paste Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old, then press Enter.
- Copy and paste these command lines one by one in Command Prompt. Press Enter after you paste every single command for it to run.
- net start wuauserv
- net start bits
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
You can now check for Windows Updates to see if the error is gone. If not, there’s one more fix you can try.
If the previous remedies did not work, you may try enabling the telemetry settings. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry captures and provides data to Microsoft about how your PC and applications are operating. Some Windows updates may fail to distribute if the Telemetry option is disabled or set to “security-only.” Change the Telemetry level as follows:
- To open the Run box, press the Windows key and R.
- Enter gpedit.msc and press OK.
- Go to Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- Double-click Allow Telemetry.
- Select Enabled and change the Telemetry level as long as it’s NOT 0 – Security. Once done, click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
We aren’t sure whether it might be a bug or Microsoft’s own choice, but cumulative updates won’t be delivered on PC if your Telemetry Level is selected to Security only. Hence, try changing it to some other option to resolve the issue.
That’s all! Check for the updates, and you should not receive the error message: “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.” anymore now!
There’s a high probability that you may face these errors due to broken updates. If that’s the case, we suggest reinstalling the Windows Updates to fix the issue.
Now see whether the error message “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.” is resolved or not!
Windows couldn’t install updates properly if your system is dealing with broken/corrupted Windows files. Hence, try repairing them by following the instructions mentioned below:
Close the Command Prompt & check whether you are receiving the Windows Updates properly or not!
Although this problem is uncommon, it might be caused by outdated or malfunctioning drivers. However, keeping your device drivers up to date may help avoid and resolve a wide range of computer problems.
There are two methods for keeping your drivers up to date. One option is to use Device Manager to update the drivers. When Windows identifies available updates, you may have to manually verify and update each device.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to manually update your drivers, Driver Easy can do it for you. Driver Easy will automatically detect your system and locate the appropriate drivers for your PC and Windows version, then download and install the drivers correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) For example, I want to update my graphics and network adapter driver here. Click the Update button next to the flagged drivers to automatically download the correct version of them. Then you can manually install them (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at [email protected].
- The Your device is missing important security and quality fixes error is sometimes caused by recent updates.
- Don’t panic, check out how to uninstall problematic updates and get them back.
- When you can’t install a Windows update, running the troubleshooter is an easy fix.
Windows 10 is often updated, and many of these updates are security-related. Typically, the process of upgrading your PC is smooth and automatic.
In certain circumstances, errors prevent this from happening, and we’ll look at the mistake today.
In Windows 10 and Windows 11, your device is missing critical security and quality updates.
One of our readers expressed worry regarding the previously stated inaccuracy. To summarize, your device is lacking critical security and quality patches, yet there are no updates accessible, so you seem to be trapped.
Other errors connected to the missing security and quality fixes
As you are aware, security updates are critical for Windows, which is why you should keep an eye on the Patch Tuesday event, which occurs every second Tuesday of the month.
That is when Microsoft releases critical security upgrades that address some of the system’s potential vulnerabilities.
Now, since this problem may come with several error codes and various variants, these are some of the codes you may encounter:
- 0x80080005 – We have a dedicated guide that tackles this error in particular
- 0x80073712 – This error code also appeared when trying to install the KB4487017 patch
- 0x80070424 – You can fix this update error with our dedicated article
Learn how to fix Your device is missing important security and quality fixes loop in no time with the steps we provided below.
1. Use the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Click the Start button and select Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane and choose Additional troubleshooters from the right.
- Expand the Windows Update troubleshooter and click Run the troubleshooter.
If the troubleshooter identifies any problems, it will attempt to fix them. If not, you will get the message that the Troubleshooter couldn’t identify the problem.
However, this should disable your device is missing important security and quality fixes, and your PC will be able to install them.
2. Download the most recent Servicing Stack Update (SSU)
- Click on Start, then pick Settings.
- Now go to System.
- In the left side panel, scroll all the way down and click on About.
- Under Device specifications, you’ll see System type.
- Now go to the official Microsoft Update Catalog webpage and download the latest SSU that matches your version.
- After that, restart your computer and check if Windows Update works.
3. Repair corrupted Windows files
- In the Windows search box, type cmd, right-click the first result, and select Run as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type the following then hit Enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Wait for the process to finish and then type the following command and hit Enter:
- After the process finishes, close Command Prompt and check if Windows Update works.
The process can be executed automatically. If you haven’t yet repaired your PC, we recommend a professional utility that will help you solve your corrupted directory situation with ease.
This tool has a database of over 25 million system files that are in a perfectly new state. If one of your system files is corrupted or damaged, it will be replaced with a healthy version from this database.
So, if you strongly need to repair system corrupted files from your PC, this mission is the most suited for software like Restoro.
4. Manually reset Windows Update Service
- In the Windows search box, type cmd, right-click the first result, and select Run as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt window appears, type the next commands one-by-one followed by the Enter key:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Now check to see if Windows Update is working properly.
5. Reinstall Windows updates
- Click the Windows button and select Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- In the right section, click on View update history.
- In the new window, choose Uninstall updates.
- From the list that appears, click on the last Update for Microsoft Windows (KBxxxxxxx) and uninstall it.
- After the process has finished, go to Windows Update and check for updates.
- Also, you can install the faulty update manually. In the update history, locate the one that’s of interest to you and go to the official Microsoft Update Catalog webpage and search for it.
- Download and install it manually.
Some readers reported that cumulative update KB4562830 is causing the trouble, so you should look for that one and eliminate it.
6. Reset your PC
- Click on the Start button and open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- In the left pane, select Recovery then, under Reset this PC, click Get Started.
- Select Keep my files.
- Choose Cloud download to get a fresh copy of Windows.
- Continue the process and reinstall the OS.
This process should reinstall the latest Windows 10 version without affecting your apps and programs.
7. Check the services
- Press Windows key + R to start Run, type services.msc, and press Enter or click OK.
- Look for a service called Stopupdates 10 guard.
- If you find it, double click to open and select Disabled at the Startup type option.
- Then, click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
For some users, this Stopupdates 10 guard service blocked the updates so you must disable it in order to fix the problem by performing the steps above.
Because the new OS inherited many of the issues from Windows 10, the notification Your device is missing crucial security and quality patches now shows on Windows 11.
Fortunately, all of the methods we described above for the older system still work on Windows 11, while the menu appearance differs somewhat.
The only minor variation is in step 6, where the Reset this PC option in Windows 11 is located in the Recovery menu from the System section of Settings.
Microsoft provides Windows updates every couple of weeks to repair odd issues and enhance the overall user experience. However, some customers are seeing the problem message “Your device is missing essential security and quality improvements” on their Update page.
One user shared concern about the aforementioned error on Microsoft’s official forum: